Friday, November 20, 2009

Are we having fun yet?

The real question is, if we are not having fun, why not? Fun is a choice, a perspective and an attitude towards life. So if you are not having fun, it may be time to ask yourself why not?

Life’s challenges and circumstances provide all the fodder any of us need to have fun. Being able to laugh (especially at ourselves) and have fun make having to deal with our challenges all the more do-able and bearable.

In our house we like to play a game that I call “Fun With Hearing Loss.” My hearing is just not as good as it used to be and there is no telling what I am going to hear. In fact, what I hear sometimes is pretty funny stuff. Our MS Walk Team is called the “JiggyWiggits” and the name comes from my constantly singing the WRONG lyrics to a song a like. Can you guess the song?

When I am out and about in my wheelchair, especially at hospitals or airports, I have made a habit out of pulling my chair up next to someone “older” than me that is also in a wheelchair and asking “Are you here for the races?” The response is almost always the same. First they are startled by the question and then they laugh. The wheelchair allows me to spread a little good cheer that I could not have done otherwise.

My doctor never knows what to expect from me. Not long ago he wanted to check my coordination. He sat in front of me on his little round stool (doesn’t it seem like every doctor has one of these?) with his hands on his knees and said “Go like this”, He then flipped his hands over repeatedly and quickly. So I did exactly as he did. I reached over, put my hands on his knees and began flipping them back and forth. The look on his face was priceless. I am sure that no patient had ever done that before. A memory I am not soon to forget, all because I was willing to have fun.

I am not the only one who thinks that having fun is a good idea. Even Listerene has gotten into the act and created a mouthwash for children. Where there is plaque on the children’s teeth, the teeth turn blue (Only temporarily! It’s easy to rinse.) The blue encourages kids to do a better job of brushing and that can’t be a bad thing.

The fact is that having fun and making things fun can and does make the world a better place. It makes people laugh, brings smiles to faces and can break up the monotony or tensions of an otherwise mundane activities or ordinary day.

Recently I received an e-mail which directed me to a website hosted by Volkswagon at www.thefuntheory.com. On the site it reads “This site is dedicated to the thought that something as simple as fun is the easiest way to change people’s behaviour for the better. “ Wow! What a concept! I was blown away by that idea.

Spend a few minutes on the website and you will discover some of the fun ideas they have implemented to get people to take the stairs instead of escalators, throw away trash and recycle. It is brilliant clever and wonderful.

What is also wonderful is that they are looking for more ideas and having a contest and the entry deadline is December 15th. Do you have an idea that could change people’s behavior and make the world a better place? If you do, I hope you will take the time to visit the website, enter the contest and help us all to have more fun.

Hmmm……..Having fun when and where it is not expected? Changing people’s behavior for the better? That sounds like a choice we could all make.

Participate. Make a difference. Live a life that matters.

1 comment:

  1. Michael~ Thank you for directing me to your blog! I will rooting around and learning more about you. Thanks again for the wonderful contribution to last night's mslolradio.com You were such an important part of it. And when you have a chance, check out my blog at mslol.wordpress.com

    See you around the pixels~

    ReplyDelete