Thursday, February 12, 2009

Always expect the worst and you'll never be disappointed.

Recently, and not for the first time, someone said to me, "Always expect the worst and you will never be disappointed." That is a heck of a statement, isn't it? I know that they meant well and what they were really saying is that they hoped that I could avoid the pain so often associated with disappointment.
The fact is that there are many people who approach life from this perspective and although there is an element of truth to it, it is not a truth that I want to live by.

I always hope for and expect the best. If things don’t work out as I had originally hoped or expected, than I figure that there must be reason for it and look to learn from the event itself. Am I ever disappointed? Sure. But disappointments are one of the ways we learn and one of life’s ways of teaching us.’ When we are able to maintain a perspective of learning from all of life’s events, then we can see the value in each of our disappointments too.

“Always expecting the worst” deprives one of the opportunity to learn. If one expects the worst, then what is to be gained from not getting it? Nothing.

When one expects the worst, they are also deprived of another opportunity and that is the opportunity for “HOPE”. “Hope” may be one of the best experiences available to us in life. It is what dreams are made of. It is what lands people on the moon and cures diseases and ends wars. It is a driving force that shapes lives, builds futures and makes our world a better place. “Hope” is what happy people have and do.

Hope encourages us. Expecting the worst does not. Hope energizes us. Expecting the worst does not. Hope uplifts us and the people around us. Expecting the worst does not.

Disappointment teaches, builds character and is quite often the best thing that could happen to us. Expecting disappointment or expecting the worst does not offer these benefits.

I certainly understand why people hate to be disappointed. But you know what may be worse than being disappointed? Missing any opportunity for hope and learning that life has to offer.

Putting it another way, “always expecting the worst” may be one of the worst things you could do.

Participate. Make a difference. Live a life that matters.

11 comments:

  1. You are so right, Michael. My motto has always been "Plan for the worst, and hope for the best." My theory being that once you've covered all the worst case scenarios with an action plan, then you don't have to give them any more of your energy. You feel confident that you'll know what to do when/if the time comes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always expect the best can result in the best happening.

    Much better than expecting the worse and somehow making it happen to.

    When I realised that my role was still important was seeing the consequences of my bcoming depressed on us.

    It would have been horrendous,we would be totally depressed plus the wound would heal slower and it would be a downward spiral.

    Expect the best and hope fcr even better.

    Love,
    Herrad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always expect the best can result in the best happening.

    Much better than expecting the worse and somehow making it happen to.

    When I realised that my role was still important was seeing the consequences of my bcoming depressed on us.

    It would have been horrendous,we would be depressed plus the wound would heal slower and it would be a downward spiral.

    Expect the best and hope fcr even better.

    Love,
    Herrad

    ReplyDelete
  4. oops can you please delete the double comment Michael.
    Love,
    Herrad

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are right on! Always look at the bright side no matter how dim it may appear. You are a great encouragement Michael!
    Joel Young

    ReplyDelete
  6. At my job I have to expect the worse. Then when it is so, I am not so let down with disappointment in the night going as I would wish. If I go in expecting the best I would come home many nights beaten down.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad to have found this blog this morning. Thank you for sharing. I think this is so appropriate for any and all whether they are fighting a battle like MS or (in my case) RA and Fibro- of if they just need a reminder that living the positive life will take you much farther than immersing yourself in negativity.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do not agree with how you look at it. I have this view on life it does not mean do not have expectations or dreams it means if your in a situation and you expect it to go bad if it does you arent dissapointed, But if it turns out ok then you are happier than it means more to you than it normally would. Does not mean look down on life, Just do not expect the best out of ALL situations. Common sense thinking in my opinion. Just know when not to expect things to go well, weigh your options.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking at things positively will make your life happy and more blessed because it only means that you believe in GOD and you have faith in Him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Load of bollocks. There's no point getting your hopes up only to get them dashed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. IF YOU ARE REALLY TOO NAIVE TO UNDERSTAND this long taught RULE, I WILL EXPLAIN.... if you're driving the kids to school, if you're hiking in the woods, skiing in a remote area, swimming in a stream or river, walking after dark... going on vacation to the middle east! You see, you must look at the worst case scenario or you will be simply unprepared, and could be putting yourself and others in danger..so kids, let's go CHASE BUTTERFLIES, but first, GO BACK TO SCHOOL. !

    ReplyDelete