Monday, August 4, 2008

This "Glass Half Empty - Glass Half Full" concept is BALONEY

We have all heard it a thousand times. It is actually a great metaphor for how one views a situation or the world around them. The problem with this metaphor is that it doesn’t tell the whole story. How do I know this to be true? Because my ‘glass’ is neither half full, nor half empty.

As I have mentioned before, living with a disability has taught me a great deal about gratitude and perspective. I have also learned that I am blessed with a pretty good attitude. In fact, sometimes I will say things that even surprise me. One of those “things” has to do with the glass.
Someone once told me that I always see the glass as being half full. This was my reply: “My glass isn’t half full. My glass is over-flowing. My glass is “HAVE” full.” The fact is that seeing the glass as over-flowing is easy to do when you have the right perspective. The way that I see it, my life is filled with blessings and miracles, more than I could ever count during the course of a day or a lifetime. My glass is truly over-flowing.

Not long ago, I was introduced to Mitchell who is truly a great man. He has been in a motorcycle crash and an airplane crash and lives to tell about it. He is paralyzed from the waist down, suffered third degree burns over 65% of his body and has no fingers left on his hands. He often says "Before I was paralyzed there were 10,000 things I could do; now there are 9,000. I can either dwell on the 1,000 I've lost or focus on the 9,000 I have left." (http://www.wmitchell.com/) This is a man who sees his glass as over-flowing.

What has he got? Perspective. The kind of perspective that is shaped by gratitude. The kind of gratitude that comes from experience. Our perspective affects the choices we make every minute of every day. Mitchell chooses to see his glass as over-flowing. So do I.

What is in your glass? What choices have you made and what choices will you make tomorrow? Will your glass be half empty or half full? My hope is that your glass will be over-flowing.

4 comments:

  1. Michael, I always thought you were beautiful on the outside but I have come to learn just how beautiful you are on the inside. Sincerely, Eileen Gelon (Danielle Kraten's mom)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Michael: I read your half full/half empty, it was so true. I try to have my glass half full, but in the future have it over flowing. You are indeed a remarkable human being and your dear loving mother had a lot to do with it, as she is smiling down at you and guiding you now thru the glass that is overflowing. Love Jean

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael
    I am so glad you share your wisdom in a world where Britneys latest escapade occupies people primary interests, it is really vital to be reminded of what is really important. I know this happens on a daily basis for me in my work and for you in living your life . Recognizing these blessing is true enlightenment! Much love, Rita Hand

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love this post. I am happy to be informed about the meaning of the glass.

    ReplyDelete