Thursday, September 11, 2008

Participate. Make a difference. Live a life that matters.

Participate. Make a difference. Live a life that matters.

That is my personal slogan. That is my motto, my creed that I live by. Living with a disability, I am not able to do as much as I used to and that’s okay. I don’t have to do as much as I used to. Only as much as I can.

It is a very simple formula. Saying it backwards explains it all. Want to live a life that matters? Then make a difference to something or someone. How do you make a difference to something or someone? Participate. Participate in something that you really care about.

What do I participate in? As much as I can. When I worked (I am on disability today) I was very involved with my industry trade association. When my children were in school, I served on committees, chaperoned field trips and never missed a function. I did not just join these organizations and activities. I was an active participant. Today I am active with our chapter of the National MS Society. For the past two years we (my family and I) have had our own team at the MS Walk. This past year we had nearly 150 of our friends, family and a few strangers join us. Together we raised over $45,000 for the MS Society. As a team leader, I call that participating.

My best friend of the past 32 years is a theatrical producer. Several years ago he produced a musical called “The Last Session” and in it is one of my favorite songs; “When You Care.” Below is a video of the original Los Angeles cast doing a benefit performance of this song. I hope you will take a few minutes to watch and listen. I think these lyrics are as true as any I have ever seen or heard. I hope you do too.


Participate. Make a difference. Live a life that matters.

Can't see the video? Click here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXT2RHud6ZU

No comments:

Post a Comment